PDA

View Full Version : Summer's Best Beers

r2a
April 18th, 2008, 11:46 AM
There are a few brews to take note of as temperatures start to escalate. I'll highlight my two favorites:

1. By far the best wheat beer I've tasted, and in my top two from Belgium (along with Stella Artois) is Wittekerke. This unique beer has it all. It comes as close to thirst quenching as beer can, without sacrificing taste and aroma. It is refreshingly light on alcohol and out-of-this-world served cold. You'll usually see it packaged at your local Binny's, Malloy's, or other beverage superstore (not a chance at Jewel or Dominick's), in smart blue cans and bottles (I like it better out of the can, actually). This is one of the best-selling "wit" beers in Beligium. It goes well with lighter foods and snacks, and is "the right choice with a very spicy Carpachio, with white fish, scallops or a fresh salad. An omelet dish will also make a good combination." Try this one - you will never be the same.

2. Another favored beer is Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy. This is a seasonal product for the Wisconsin brewer, and rightly so: the Shandy's hallmark characteristic is lemonade. Unlike Leinie's Berry Weiss, which is mixed with juice post-brew, this beer has a fainter hint of lemon, not too overpowering or sweet. It's a beach beer, and although some might consider it too trendy or too altered to really deliver as a wheat beer, it does perform well under any summer circumstance. Another quencher.

http://www.receptjes.be/pics/bieren/wittekerke.jpghttp://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/bym/img/mar07/leinies_032407_125x232.jpg

Not to exclude other summer companions like the ever-faithful Corona, Sam Adams Summer Ale, Goose Island 312, and great asian beers like Tsingtao, Kirin Ichiban, and Sapporo. But that's just me...

Cheers!

henryjz
April 18th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Oooo, I'll have to check those out. Thanks for the suggestions.

Wally
April 18th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I enjoy a good wheat beer every once in a while. I will have to try one of these. Thanks for the recommendations!

FernLaplante
April 18th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Thanks r2a - I will check out the Wittekerke next time I see it.