PDA

View Full Version : Steve's 25 Days of Christmas Music: December 12

Tannerman
December 12th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Ever taken two magnets and tried to stick both of their north ends together? Opposites don't tend to attract, but today, I'd like to serve up two songs that have nothing to do with each other, but have merit on their own.

A couple years back, Amy and I attended a church in North Lawndale for a while in the summer. While it was a little odd being white in a predominantly African American congregation (a good cultural lesson for me), the music just rocked. It had feeling, soul, passion... not the bland hymns and praise music you hear in most modern churches today. When we were there, it didn't feel like people were just going through the motions. I cherished those musical experiences.

While not as "active" as much of the music we heard in that church, Give Me a Star reminds me of the unique perspective and insight that can be learned from music, especially Christmas music, that isn't part of the mainstream. Featuring a strong male vocal and a backing choir, the story of the Wise Men is told while paralleling struggles you may be facing today, especially when you may be asking yourself "what's next?" I think many of us would love a very visible sign from God today to show us what to do in times of trouble.

Then we have the other end of the magnet...

It's the VeggieTales gang, those crazy computer animated vegetable characters most recently seen in Jonah: A VeggieTales Movie, singing The 8 Polish Foods of Christmas. My family background is heavily German and Polish (and something called White Russian, which I'll never figure out), but I can't say that I know what half of these foods are. Consider it an educational/multicultural experience. It's not really making me hungry, but you decide! <a href="http://christmas.tannerworld.com/Give Me a Star - BeBe and CeCe Winans.mp3" target=_blank>Give Me a Star - BeBe and CeCe Winans</a> (5.7MB)
<a href="http://christmas.tannerworld.com/The 8 Polish Foods of Christmas - VeggieTales.mp3" target=_blank>The 8 Polish Foods of Christmas - VeggieTales</a> (4.0MB)

Egg
December 12th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Bummer I already have the 8 Polish foods of Christmas. I guess I only get one today.

Childs
December 12th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Thanks Steve. The Veggie Tales song sure gave us a good laugh before the students showed up.

Egg
December 12th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Childs
Thanks Steve. The Veggie Tales song sure gave us a good laugh before the students showed up.

Let the students here it. I don't think there is anything religious in it.