PDA

View Full Version : Episode 2 reviews (Spoilers) - Don't read if you haven't seen film

Tannerman
May 17th, 2002, 09:01 AM
OK, here's the place to post your thoughts on Star Wars Episode 2 after you've seen the movie. Spoilers are welcomed!

Tannerman
May 17th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Previously posted by Egg:I felt that the use of Jar Jar was done very well in this movie. He definiatly wasn't over used this time. The thing that really surprised me was that I though that Yoda over shadowed the movie a little to much, sort of like Jar Jar in the last movie, but that is just my opinion. Others that went with me thought he was perfect. I espcially disliked his battle seen, but again that was just my opinion.

Egg
May 17th, 2002, 09:23 AM
So did anyone else think the Yoda Battle was a little Cheesy?

Tannerman
May 17th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Well, just a tad bit cheesy... but I think in a cool way. I cringe a little when I think about how much CGI is overused these days, but it was cool to see Yoda go off on that guy.

I think the more cheesy parts were when any human was riding a CGI animal... that stuff still looks fake.

Drew
May 17th, 2002, 12:03 PM
I must say that I didn't think Lucas would be able to pull this off, and I know all anyone ever wants to talk about with Star Wars are the special effects, but I think that the writing here was excellent. Ebert can say what he wants about no memorab;le lines, but fo rnow I can't forget:

"I've been haunted by the kiss you never should have gave me. You are in my soul, tormenting me."

That's such great writing in my opinion, maybe just cause that's where I'm at, but I really liked it.

Drew
May 17th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Okay, so I really liked this other scene, now that Steve and I have talked about it. Unfortunately I left to go to the bathroom during it, might have to go see the movie again. Anyway, the scene where Anakin and Amidala are in the workshop after his mom died. He talks about how good he was at fixing things and how he wishes to get back. Kind of cool how that's the life he chooses for Luke later on.

Tannerman
May 17th, 2002, 01:54 PM
I went to see Attack of the Clones (AOTC) with a bunch of Star Wars diehards. They dressed up like Jedi and everything. I had never seen a Star Wars film on opening day, but there is something to be said about seeing it in a packed theatre with a whole lot of people just like you (and a lot of kids, which is cool too), and enjoying the full public experience of the movie (I still prefer to see my films on DVD, where you can pause them at any point and you don't have to deal with morons in a theatre, but that's another story).

So, after I have been pushing this film down people's throats for the past couple months, I bet you are wondering what I actually thought of the movie...

I really liked it... I think.

First off, I thought it was a whole let better than The Phantom Menance (TPM). The plot was deeper (and somewhat confusing at times, even for me, a Star Wars freak), the music seemed to be a nicer fit, the overall tone of the movie was darker, and Natalie Portman... well, she just looked really pretty :D.

Stuff I really liked: The Jedi Starfighter -- Cool ship, and what's with that ring thing they have to use to travel through hyperspace? My LEGO model didn't come with that! I want my money back.
Yoda - Wow. Also loved how he made fun of Obi Wan for "losing a planet"
Love theme - Added a lot to the music mood of the movie
Dex's Diner - Nice to see some classic '50's stuff in the movie
The Jedi Library - My mom is a librarian... I have a thing for the Dewey Decimal System
Links to the Classic Trilogy - Owen and Beru Lars, "you'll become the death of me, Anakin", the Death Star

Stuff that was OK, but kinda odd: That whole sonic bomb thing in the space battle - where right before the bomb explodes, the sound disappears?
Love dialogue - Seemed a bit forced; and how could they fall in love so fast?
Age gap - It's been 10 years. Padme looks the same... Anakin doesn't
Repeats? - Lots of battle scenes that just said me to me "have I seen this in Braveheart or The Patriot?"
Yoda - Seemed out of character in some parts, especially during the battle

Painful stuff: Jar Jar Binks
C3PO's comic relief - Cheesy
Bad CGI - Seeing any human character riding an animated animal... you can totally tell this is fake

Overall, the movie was a great installment, but I still think it's missing the heart of the first three movies. I felt like it was a montage of stuff slapped together. The writing was better, the action was great, and the effects were good (but they felt "burdened" a little bit... not like the open and free effects feeling you get say when you are watching The Matrix).

Lucas seemed to have learned his lesson by focusing more on a core set of characters, rather than try to introduce a zillion more. I would have liked the acting to be a little better, but this was probably due to poor direction, rather than poor actors.

I'm still trying to sort out my overall feelings with the movie. Maybe it's just relief that it wasn't bad. Is that a bad thing to think? I mean, we all sort of got burned by the last movie. I think this is a movie that a Star Wars fan will appreciate, but a casual fan will not.

After seeing it a couple more times, I may change my tune on some stuff. We'll see. Just some initial reactions...

Egg
May 17th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Tannerman
Natalie Portman... well, she just looked really pretty :D.

This is a complete false statment. By the battle in the end she is really pretty, she is down right HOT.

Egg
May 17th, 2002, 02:00 PM
I actually thought Jar Jar was used really well in this movie. They need a very impressionable character and he fit it very well. Without him who would you have had play that part in the Senate?

Egg
May 17th, 2002, 02:02 PM
I don't think the age gap problem was with this movie. Episode 1 did a terrible job of getting someone the correct age to play the Queen, so they had to just continue with problem in this movie.

Egg
May 17th, 2002, 02:03 PM
I so TOTALLY agree with this. I actually thought that the sound was broken on the movie both times before I really thought about it.

Wally
May 17th, 2002, 02:33 PM
Though I haven't seen the movie, I have been reading this section anyway. I had a comment on one thing Tannerman said:

how could they fall in love so fast?

I don't know what "so fast" is, but some of us act on the urge of love quicker than others.

Egg
May 17th, 2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Wally
Though I haven't seen the movie, I have been reading this section anyway. I had a comment on one thing Tannerman said:

I don't know what "so fast" is, but some of us act on the urge of love quicker than others.

In Tanners defense. Normally guys act on it a lot quicker, but in the movie BOTH the guy and the girl fell in LOVE quick.

Tannerman
May 17th, 2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Wally

Translation: Steve took HOW LONG to marry Amy? :D

Egg
May 17th, 2002, 02:55 PM
So that is how the Universal Translator works -----------Whoops wrong show.

Drew
May 17th, 2002, 03:40 PM
Yeah, that boy was terribly impetuous. I mean the first thing he says, "Yes you've grown older too, and more beautiful." I mean come on, does he really have no inhibitions, he was in front of everyone. And then how they end up in the fireplace sceen after she says no it all far fetched to me.

Kiser
May 19th, 2002, 10:13 PM
I think this movie was a big improvement over Phantom Menace.

Jar-Jar: Still too much. What senator in his right mind would listen to such an idiot?

Yoda: I guess this answered the question from previous movies, "Yeah he's so powerful, but can he fight?" The whole time I was laughing and thinking, "Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

Sonic Bomb Thingy: Sound was too funky, and if it were sonic would you really see the blue?

Battle: The guy I went with mentioned Braveheart, too.

Circle Ship Warp thing: Liked it, but how do you decide when to go through the "top" or "bottom" of the circle when you detach?

Padme: Ditto, Egg.

Anakin: He's a punk.

Anakin Quote: "I can't breathe."

Again, I liked this movie. Had a lot of laughs, but had a lot of groans, too. C3PO's, "What a drag" almost made me sick. Or maybe that was from all the candy we brought in.

Also, when I was standing in line, a girl from my youth group was coming out and she said it was horrible and boring. She also said it was the first Star Wars movie she ever saw. Poor girl.

Childs
May 20th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Yoda: I guess this answered the question from previous movies, "Yeah he's so powerful, but can he fight?" The whole time I was laughing and thinking, "Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

My friends and I discussed this. We decided Yoda reminded us of Mr. Miagi in the Karate Kid.

Egg
May 20th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Childs

My friends and I discussed this. We decided Yoda reminded us of Mr. Miagi in the Karate Kid. [/B]

But Mr. Miagi didn't have electricity come out of his hands.

Wally
May 20th, 2002, 09:02 AM
At the beginning of the fight scene he looked like he was in a karate stance.

Other comments:

Padme- Egg was right. She's hot!

Sonic boom- Sucked

Jar-Jar- handled quite well

It seemed to me that this movie had many more humans and fewer other creatures than the other movies did.

Childs
May 20th, 2002, 11:24 AM
I agree with all of you, the Senator from Naboo is hot. Anakin's a lucky guy. If he could only keep his head on straight. As for the sonic charges, I actually liked the sound effect. Since the bomb used sound waves to destroy things, the hushed silence was a cool effect. Jar-Jar was a good bit part. I could have lived without him at all, but the little amount he was in the movie was appropriate. I was not too sure about Boba Fett holding the head of Jenga Fett. That was a bit creepy. I really liked the clone factory sequence. That was a great bit of animation and had some sweet backgrounds with all the capsules of developing embryos. Reminded me of the matrix, but much more sophisticated and sterile.

Overall, I thought this was a great movie. I did have a kid who kept talking and that distracted me a bit. Otherwise, I thought it was great.

I did read one review that spoke of Anakin. They suggested he was not spooky or mean enough to lead us to believe he could become Darth Vader. There were points I agreed with the reviewer. He was a wuss at times, and more of a crybaby that I would have pegged him for. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Egg
May 20th, 2002, 11:29 AM
I think that it works well. Think about the Teenage mind. First he has to wine before he can get really upset, when no one is listening. And once he gets really upset that is when the Darth Vadar qualities will really start to show through.

Egg
May 20th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Hey I am going to see THE MOVIE again tonight. Does anyone know of any bloopers that I should be watching for. After I have seen a movie for the first time a like to find these problems. It makes the movie more interesting the 2nd and 3rd time around.

Tannerman
May 20th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Episode II - Hidden Images and Cameos (http://www.theforce.net/episode2/hidden/)

Wally
May 20th, 2002, 03:22 PM
I don't think it is the spooky-ness or mean-ness of Anikan that helped me to see that he could eventually become Darth. I could see it just by the fact that he let his anger be the judge of his actions.

As far as his whiny personality, Luke was that way also if you remember.

Gonetotea
May 29th, 2002, 12:42 PM
*LOL*

first Steve's take on Ms. Portman is classic and should be on the cover of Time or USA TODAY or something.......

now...I'll sound off on this simply because I can...

YODA AND A LIGHTSABER!!!!!!!! YODA AND A LIGHTSABER!!!!!!
HE DOESN"T EVEN PULL IT OUT HE USES THE FORCE TO BRING IT TO HIS HAND!!! aaahh!!! COOL!! THEN HE DOES HE KUNG-FU NEO FROM THE MATRIX STANCE!!!!!! COOOOOOOL!!! i'VE WAITED MOST ALL MY LIFE TO SEE YODA USE A LIGHTSABER!!!! COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!! YODA ROCKS!!!! ROCKS YODA DOES YES MMM!!!!!!

OH...and Senator Amidala is a woman of power.....and they scare me....heh heh *L*

oh and the rest of it was good too..*LOL*

Egg
May 29th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Ok someone brought something to my attention that I didn't notice and I was wondering if anyone else noticed it.

In the wedding sean at the end, was she 3 or 4 months pregnant? All the guys that have seen it didn't notice, but two different women (not true Star Wars fans) said they saw it, so us die hards aren't believing it until we confirmation from another die hard.

Tannerman
May 29th, 2002, 01:20 PM
I have only seen the film once (hoping to see it DIGITALLY tomorrow night), and didn't really catch this. Personally, I doubt Lucas would do something like that... I think the whole wedding scene at the end was thrown in to "justify their involvement" or something. I'll poke around and see what I can find, however. I do know that her outfit at the end is called her "marriage dress" not her "maternity dress" :)

Egg
May 29th, 2002, 01:22 PM
I am so envious of you being able to see it in a digital theater. You will have to let all of us know if the quality is a lot better.

We agree that we didn't think that Lucas would do that, but we have to clarify what the women were claiming.

Tannerman
May 29th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Back to the pregnant/not pregnant issue, I posted your question Egg on the leading Star Wars fan board... here's a link to the thread for answers and speculation...

Is Padme pregnant at the end of Ep2? (http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=7107223)

Egg
May 29th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Steve Thanks for looking into that. That may not make it crystal clear, but it does help.

Tannerman
May 31st, 2002, 04:19 PM
Well, last night Amy and I had the opportunity to see Episode 2 in one of the three DIGITAL theatres in Illinois (lucky for me, one was only 10 min from home... gosh I love living in the city). In short... if you have an opportunity to see this movie in digital, go do it.

My curiosity in seeing the movie in digital was prompted by Roger Ebert ripping on Episode 2 in one review (http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_reviews/2002/05/051001.html), only to say it was really good in another review after seeing it in digital (http://www.suntimes.com/output/eb-feature/cst-ftr-ebert14.html). I'm like, c'mon, can it really be that much of a difference?

Well, right off, let me say that digital projection does not solve the fact that Lucas is an incompetent director, or that he should hand over the reigns to someone who knows what they are doing in Episode 3. It doesn't remove C-3PO's stupid lines, or the cheesy love banter, or freaky Jar-Jar Binks.

So what does it do? Well, probably the biggest thing it does is it keeps things from looking so "fake". I remember seeing the movie the first time with Kidologist (http://forums.tannerworld.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=26), and you could clearly see what was computer animated creatures vs. what was real. That line is pretty much gone when you see things digitally (yeah, they still look fake riding CGI animals, but overall, pretty good). The best way to say it is that everything sort of "blends" together nicely so that you aren't as distracted by the overuse of CGI, and that you get back into the story, just like when you saw the first bunch of movies and wondered "how did they do that?"

Another advantage of digital was that there were no scratches on the film print, or spots, or whatever. Sound was no different, and frankly, I wasn't all that impressed with that. And I could have sworn there was like a smudge on our projection lens on the lower left side of the screen, but hey, that might have just been me.

Overall, it really helped viewing it in digital, if only to see the real highlight of the evening... the Matrix 2 and 3 trailers :)

(Oh, and Egg, whoever said that Padme is pregnant has got to be smoking something....)

Egg
May 31st, 2002, 04:28 PM
Glad to here that the digital is so much better. NOw I wish we had one of those theaters around here somewhere. I guess if I really want to see it that way I will have to head to Chicago.

I am quite glad to here that she is NOT pregnant!!!

Childs
June 3rd, 2002, 07:36 AM
Man, I wish I had one of those. I guess I'll have to see if there's a digital theater in Indy. Probably not...

Tannerman
June 3rd, 2002, 08:54 AM
For a listing of all the digital theatres, hit http://www.dlp.com ...

Childs
June 3rd, 2002, 10:15 AM
The closest are those in Chicago and then there is one in Ohio. Too bad...

Tannerman
June 3rd, 2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Childs
The closest are those in Chicago and then there is one in Ohio. Too bad...

Yet another reason to move out of Indiana :)

Egg
June 3rd, 2002, 10:46 AM

SMOG is also I good reason to move out of Indiana too. I mean we sure don't have enough of it here. :D

Kidologist
June 3rd, 2002, 10:53 AM
First of all, let me rub it in that I saw EP2 in digital FOUR DAYS before the movie came out due to set of $500 tickets given to me for the Chicago premier...followed by a private SW party at Adler Planatarium that was VERY cool! (many bothans died to bring me those tickets)

Secondly, Now that I have the movie in digital on my computer (many more bothans died!) I have to say the move still rocks.

Sonic boom: awesome

Yoda: awesome

Jar-Jar: appropriate (they needed an idiot to make that motion)

Padme: I can't say, my wife may read this.

Anakin: perfectly whiny like this future son, and good balance - we see the seeds of the 'fall' but he still remains a hero in this film. (he ends still a 'good guy')

C-3PO: funny - as he should be. He and r2 were based originally off Abbott and Costello who it seems no one remembers or has seen - and puns were their main type of humor. (Who's on first)

R2 - flying was a great treat - quiet, to the task, loyal, trustworthy, creative initiative, brave, independant, go-getter - if only my laptop were 1% of R2!

Mace: about the only character I don't like - he tries too hard to look 'wise' I had heard he died and was disappointed he didn't, and how come Samuel JAckson gets to pick his own saber color? Not fair.

Jango - very cool, you get to see that suit DO some stuff

Boba - strange seeing him as a kid, but he definately has the mean streak in him

Obi-Won: probably the best actor - does Alec's voice really good

Music - still the best ever composed.

Falling in love: don't blame Anakin a bit - though a little surprising of Padme, but the book helps that make a little more sense. And they only had two hours (ok plus 15 min.) to do the whole story - and if they had spent more time on the 'love story' it would have gotten to be too much. I think it was just right.

What did I miss??? I love it! And no, Padme is not pregnant.

Childs
June 3rd, 2002, 11:09 AM
So...
Where do some of us get that movie for our computers...

;)

Childs
June 3rd, 2002, 11:14 AM

I could just move to Michigan. There are two digital theatres there!

Kidologist
June 3rd, 2002, 12:28 PM
Like I said, many bothans died... I can not reveal my source, BUT you can search the Internet.

I was just given it on a CD - I'd tell you where my friend got it, if I knew.

Sorry. :)

Tannerman
June 3rd, 2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Kidologist
I was just given it on a CD - I'd tell you where my friend got it, if I knew.
Ask Tannerman - he usually knows these things.

I don't bootleg movies.

Tannerman
June 5th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Here are some confirmed easter eggs from the official Star Wars website:

Here's some of the things to watch for the next time you go to see Attack of the Clones.

Trundling along the streets of Mos Espa as Anakin and Padmé go to meet Watto is none other than R5-D4, the grumpy astromech from Episode IV that blows its stack in front of Luke.

What has become a tradition of sorts is the "Wilhelm," the affectionate moniker given to a very distinct scream sound effect used in all of the Star Wars films (and quite a few non-Star Wars films too). In A New Hope, it's the stormtrooper that plummets down the Death Star chasm. In Episode II, it's a Naboo soldier thrown in the opening explosion of the film.

The very first shot of Episode II has an homage to another sci-fi classic as the camera tilts up to the crowded orbital traffic of Coruscant. "That shot had been executed in 2001: A Space Odyssey," explains John Knoll, one of Episode II's Visual Effects Supervisors. "I put an Orion space plane flying in there."

Star Wars continuity purists will have a hard time explaining just how an X-wing fighter and TIE fighter got into the speeder chase over Coruscant.

By now, many have spotted the familiar Millennium Falcon-style Corellian freighters docked on Naboo. "It was George Lucas' idea," says VFX Supervisor Pablo Helman. "He said something like, 'should we dare go there?' And we did." In addition to those saucer-shaped freighters, expanded universe fans might be able to spot a Corellian bulk freighter, the same model as Talon Karrde's Wild Karrde.

It appears that Fett genes and low headroom don't mix. In an homage to the classic Star Wars misstep, wherein a stormtrooper bangs his head on a low-hanging door, Jango Fett also takes a wallop on the noggin -- complete with sound effect -- as he enters the Slave I after tangling with Obi-Wan.

"There's these big cow-like creatures called shaaks that Anakin rides on Naboo," explains Knoll. "The shaaks got to be a bit of a joke with the crew. I put one in the asteroid sequence, in a reference to Ken Ralston [visual effects artist in the classic trilogy] having put potatoes and tennis shoes in space battle scenes previously. So there's a shaak there, but it's got the asteroid shader on it with craters. You really can't see it unless you start to look at it and see the legs and snout."

"There may be a shaak on fire during the Clone War," hints Ben Snow, another of Episode II's Visual Effects Supervisors. "It was almost a competition. Can anyone get a shaak in their scene?"

Tannerman
June 20th, 2002, 02:26 PM
I learned today that some parts of Episode 2 are different in digital than they are in regular film presentations...

From the Official Site (http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/rick/askjc20020619.html) Q:I am not certain if this was intentional, but I noticed in the digital version Anakin's metal hand reaches and holds Padmé's hand. In the 35mm version, Anakin's metal hand is just shown hanging at his side which then cuts to them kissing. If this was an error, I would just like to know. I feel like I'm the only one around here who caught the difference.

A: Yes, you've noticed a difference between the film print version of Episode II and the version that is being shown digitally. (We call it D-cinema.)

Naturally, the process of making the thousands of physical film prints of the movie takes time, so we had to lock down that version in April. However, we had some extra time for the D-cinema distribution, so George [Lucas] had a few more days to make some final tweaks to the finished product.

Interesting.

Egg
June 20th, 2002, 02:32 PM
I learned today that some parts of Episode 2 are different in digital than they are in regular film presentations...

From the Official Site (http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/rick/askjc20020619.html)

Interesting.

That's cool, now I REALLY want to see the digital version.