TannerWorld Junction

Old June 4th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Head Tanner at TannerWorld

Tannerman is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Tannerman Send a message via AIM to Tannerman Send a message via MSN to Tannerman Send a message via Yahoo to Tannerman Send a message via Skype™ to Tannerman
BBQ Part Deux - Part 16
Mustard and malts, oh my!
Day: 3

Previous readers of SteveandAmySly.com may remember our discussion of Krystal vs. White Castle burgers during our Smoky Mountains trip last year. At the time I was quoted as saying:
Quote:
We even came across a fast food memory from Amy's times living in Florida: Krystal. Amy went on to explain that she loved Krystal sliders as a kid, and when they moved from Florida eventually to the Midwest, she was sad that there weren't any up here...

What made Krystal successful was opening stores in parts of the country where White Castle was not located, namely the southeast... That said, we never ate at a Krystal during our trip. Maybe next time.
Well, next time was now because we were hungry!

Who names their kid "Prince Hollinger"?

We got ourselves about 12 Krystal burgers, 6 with cheese, 6 without. As part of the experience, they only came with mustard on top. Overall, they were pretty good, but nothing to write home about. Here I thought they were some amazing thing, but nope... just another bit of fast food.

Elliston Place Soda Shop

For dessert, we drove to the Elliston Place Soda Shop, the oldest eating establishment in Nashville. It's been around since 1939, and frankly, the place looks like it. Think about the classic looks you remember from Happy Days and American Graffiti... and you have the nostalgia just about right. The only difference is that this place is authentic!

Welcome to the past

You walk in and find yourself surrounded by red-and-white tiled walls, a lunch counter (complete with stools), old advertising, and a jukebox (which was broken during our visit). Amy ordered a malt while I favored an ice cream sundae. Good stuff.

Amy, a malt, and a broken booth jukebox

Funny story... we actually charged our orders of ice cream. The place was so low-tech that the guy had to write me a hand-written receipt. Anyway, it's been 3 months since our time there, and they still haven't processed the charge on our account. Looks like we might have gotten some free ice cream!

Time was of the essence and we had to rush to the airport to catch our flight!

Story Navigation:
Previous - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 - Next