TannerWorld Junction

Old March 26th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Head Tanner at TannerWorld

Tannerman is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Tannerman Send a message via AIM to Tannerman Send a message via MSN to Tannerman Send a message via Yahoo to Tannerman Send a message via Skype™ to Tannerman
Review: Monster Energy
Recently a friend gave me a can of Monster Energy drink. I don't typically partake of energy drinks. In fact, I think I've only had one previously (Amp). But energy drinks are actually doing pretty well in the marketplace, so I figured I'd see what all the fuss was about.

Monster Energy is made by the Monster Beverage Company of Corona, CA, which in turn is owned by Hansen Beverage Company. I mention that because the latest industry sales numbers from 2006 show that Hansen is now the #6 beverage company, due to its mix of soft drinks and energy drinks. It had a lot of growth last year and is now ahead of Red Bull in the marketplace according to Beverage Digest.

Speaking of Red Bull, that's typically what folks think of when they think "energy drink". Well, that and small can + high price! Monster came along with a can twice the size (16 oz. vs. 8.3 oz.), but kept the price the same. Thus they marketed that advantage in value, while still showing this edgy exterior.

Monster Energy is the flagship brand in the Monster family. It comes in a black can highlighted by a fluorescent green. The pulltab is also green. (Funny how Amp pretty much looks just like it!). The "energy blend" found in Monster Energy includes l-carnitine, glucose, inositol, glucuronolactone, and maltodextrin. It also has such exciting things as taurine, panax ginseng root extract, and B vitamins!

Oh, and lots of caffeine. There's actually a warning on the back that reads: "Consume Responsibly -- Limit 3 cans per day. Not recommended for children, pregnant women, or people sensitive to caffeine." Nice.

Upon opening the can, the best way I could describe it is that is smelled a lot like Jones Soda Candy. In case you have no experience with this, Jones Soda licensed their brand to a candy manufacturer and they are selling what can best be described as "fizzy PEZ" candies. Jones calls it a "carbonated candy" that you can "pop in your mouth and let it fizz, or drop 'em in your Jones Soda beverages as flavor boosters too!" In any case, Monster Energy smells like that stuff. Another analogy might be the taste of the syrup in a Fla-Vor-Ice freezer pops. You know when you are sucking out the flavored ice and all the ice is gone, leaving a strong syrup at the bottom? Somewhat fruity, kinda stuffy, definitely not like a cola.

The color of the drink was dark yellowish... I guess you could call it amber, but who really knows. Think apple juice with a somewhat red tint. As for the taste, well... it was odd. Think citrus + medicine. Yum! There wasn't a lot of carbonation (which reminded me somewhat of how Vault is being positioned as a hybrid soda/energy drink). The aftertaste was somewhat bitter, rather acidic. Not really pleasant, to tell you the truth. I actually couldn't quite place what the heck the flavor actually was. It starts out smooth, and then the aftertaste kicks in and ruins it. (Of course, this might also have to do with the fact that sucralose is listed as an ingredient.)

Overall, the taste was weird and I don't think I'd want to drink this again. Maybe I'm just not an energy drink guy.

Still thirsty? Read more beverage reviews!
Old March 26th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Brakeman

Member of SigmaBetaWorld.com #100 Wheels Wheels Tire Changer

Childs is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Childs Send a message via MSN to Childs
Originally Posted by Tannerman View Post
The color of the drink was dark yellowish... I guess you could call it amber, but who really knows. Think apple juice with a somewhat red tint.
Umm...I know that description does not make me think of pop...
Old March 26th, 2007, 05:25 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tannerman Send a message via AIM to Tannerman Send a message via MSN to Tannerman Send a message via Yahoo to Tannerman Send a message via Skype™ to Tannerman
Originally Posted by Childs View Post
Umm...I know that description does not make me think of pop...
Yeah, I'm with you on that. It wasn't quite "dirty urine", so I really didn't know how to describe it
Old March 27th, 2007, 02:33 AM
Terminal Trainmaster

Mommymeepa is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Mommymeepa
Steve, was just wondering if you subscribe to Beverage Digest?
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mommymeepa View Post
Steve, was just wondering if you subscribe to Beverage Digest?
I'd love to, but since it costs $705 a year, not going to happen

(By the way, thank your husband for the Monster drink for me!)
Old March 27th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Terminal Trainmaster

Mommymeepa is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Mommymeepa
I'll thank him for you and WOW that's a lot of money for a magazine. Guess you really have to be in the business.